Why do I have a voice in the back of my head saying "Didn't someone have
to revert to sp1 to get things going?"?

If that's an option, you might explore it.  If it's not an option - I
don't know what to say.  I can't say where the above thought comes from,
but I seem to have some vague recollection that someone had to do that.
 Don't quote me!  I could be wrong!  I have no problem associated with
that "fix", so I can't even begin to claim with any certainty this is
the solution to your problem - looks like you're grasping for straws
though, so here's one more for you ...

--
Eddie Bush