I need to dig into the source more deeply.  I looked briefly but
couldn't satisfy myself as to whether you could do a redirect that
wasn't (at least) relative to the application.  Sorry, but this isn't an
issue I've had to face.  As a last resort you could do:

    response.sendRedirect(response.encodeUrl(path));
    return null;

Returning null is very important, as it signals the RequestProcessor
that it doesn't need to do anything else.

Hopefully someone else will have additional wisdom for you.

--
Eddie Bush