Wow, thanks for the links.  One very crucial bit of information missing in these
benchmarks (unless my spectacles mislead me) is that there is no mention of JSP
compilation.  This leads me to assume that each page was hit first on the respective
containers to compile the JSPs, then the benchmark tests conducted.  The problem I
have with this is that you are really testing two things:  How 'smart' the particular
JSP compiler is, and how well the container services requests.

With that in mind, the Jasper2 JSP compiler available with Tomcat 4.1.x offers
optimizations in the generated code that purportedly increase page response by 400% or
better.  I've observed with my own peepers that it is several times faster, though I
have no BS (cough, I mean, 'benchmarks') to offer.

So maybe the article should be retitled:  "Was Tomcat Crap?"
If you've looked at the code the original Jasper generates, you might be inclined to
say 'yes'.

Also:  "Lies!  Damned lies, and statistics!"  :)

My .02