It seems to me that the problem is that you are trying to do everything
in the JSP without benefit of using an Action. The Action is where this
kind of processing should take place. (Some developers would push it
further, into Business Objects, but they would still be called from the
Action.) In the Action you have access to both the form and your DB bean
and can handle interactions between them.

So, I would make the entry point of your application an Action, not just
a JSP.

Will