It's not a question of making your model work with CMA.  You would use
one or the other.  Most likely (unless you have "odd" needs), the
functionality provided by CMA will suffice to meet your goals.

Once you have CMA setup there is *one* hit to authenticate the user -
and that information is then maintained by the server and is available
through *standard* methods (which your database-driven scheme cannot
boast, I think) which will allow Struts to be selective about which
options it gives the user (if you configure it to do so).

CMA "just does it".  It will check when a protected resource is
requested and see if the user is authenticated.  If they are not - boom
- they have to authenticate.  You no longer have to check on every page.
 Checking on every page is (IMHO) a "hack".

Please go read up on Container-Managed Authentication.  Either grab a
copy of the servlet spec or search the web.  There is a lot of "general"
information about it.  For information about configuring it with *your*
servlet container, see your container's handbook (user guide).  If
you're using Tomcat, and you can access your database via JDBC, check
out JDBCRealm.  If you don't think that's a "good fit" you might check
out Max Cooper's (I think that's his name) project on SourceForge - the
project is "securityfilter", I think.

--
Eddie Bush