Kevin,

Your observations are perfectly valid and to-the-point.
We are trying to answer some of the same questions you have raised.

Just to give you a little background : The application involves hundreds of
Busines Objects and complex business rules.
The number of different ways in which a client can manipulate Business
objects (POST methods or RPC calls) is quite large (ofcourse we are planning
to use Facades and BusinessDelegates to avoid too many granular actions).

Our first stab at the design was to model all Business objects as Java
Classes (We have good reasons not to use EJBs, but that is a different
story). For some reasons, the front-end has to be a java swing application.
We will have ValueObjects that will be passed back and forth between server
and client.

The transfer of value objects data between client tier and web/app tier
could be (1) XML (2) Serialized objects.
Sending XML representation of ValueObjects would increase our 'payload' by
factor of atleast 5 (due to XML tags etc.) and also we have to write
conversion routines. Our ValueObjects hierarchy is a bit complex. (JAXB
could help here though.)
On the other hand sending Serialized Value Objects tree seems straight
forward and efficient. So we decided to give it a shot. Don't know if that
is the best way.

Regarding using the SOAP, we are seriously looking at it as an option.
(Trying to get upto speed on web services is the first step...I guess :-))

I would value your take on this...please provide your opinion...

thanks