that we are still in the learning stage on web services...As you mentioned
before even with Web services we may end up with large number of "end
points". There is also issues to be addressed when it comes to creating
"stateful" web services etc...

Prakesh,

Here might be a way to minimize the number of endpoints you need.

I've done some work implementing a 'Command' design pattern using a Web
Service. The goal is to miminize the number of Web Service 'end points'.
Here's basically how it worked:

- I created a single 'end point' for the web service. It provided for ONLY
an XML document as the data type.
- In the XML I had an element name '<commandtype>'.
- On the Web Services server, whenever a message was  received, I used a
factory method to get a 'CommandProcessor' for whichever command type
showed up.
- I then implemented 'command processors' for each type of command.

The value in this was that it made my web service definition simpler. And
if I needed to add a command to the web service, I no longer needed to add
another web service 'end point'.

For me, processing all the input as XML documents wasn't an issue because
of the nature of the application. You had indicated that you are using
'ValueObjects' - well, it might be possible for you to define each value
object with a property called 'commmandType' and do something similar like
this:

- Define a java interface called Command (or something) with a single
method pair called 'get/setCommandType()'
- Have all your value objects implement this interface.
- Create a CommandProcessor interface as well with a single method called
'processCommand()'
- On the web services server, read in each object, cast it to a Command and
then use a factory class to build CommandProcessors for each type of
command. Something like:

      String cmdType =  (  (Command) valueObject()  ).getCommandType();

      CommandProcessor cp = CommandProcessorFactory.buildProcessor(cmdType);

      cp.processCommand( valueObject );

Basically, this code casts the value object to a Command and extracts the
commandType. It then uses the commandType to get a CommandProcessor from
the CommandProcessorFactory.  Finally, it passes the value object into the
command processor for processing.

This approach may be able to significantly reduce the number of Web Service
'end points' you need - assuming you can use a single endpoint defined
using the Axis 'beanserializer/beandeserializer' types. If you can define a
single endpoint that can serialize and deserialize any kind of value
object, then this will work. (I guess that's a pretty big 'if'...). If you
can't then the approach of using XML documents instead of value objects may
be the easiest way to do this - though there may be another way around it.

Let's take this discussion off-line if you have other questions - I think
we're wondering off-topic.

Kevin