We have what should be a fairly common situation:  several sub-applications
corresponding to different business unit functions, and a global navigation
"header" that navigates among these different sub-applications (Unit1,
Unit2, etc.).  The navigation header is defined in a global template, and so
the links to the different sub-applications need to be specified once in the
template page.

So, the question is, can the actions or forwards that specify the targets
for the sub-applications be specified in a single place (like the default
struts app in struts-config.xml) or a special common struts app (like
struts-comon-config.xml)?  Or, must the forwards/actions be specified in
each of the sub-apps configs (struts-Unit1-config.xml,
struts-Unit2-config.xml)?

I would not like to have to copy/paste the common/global resources into each
sub-application; I would like to be able to access a resource defined in a
common config or any sub-app config, from within any other sub-app, without
having to define anything particular in the sub-app -- i.e., like
there any known way to do what I'm looking for?