Check out: http://staff.develop.com/halloway/code/objectio.html

You may want to use ObjectStreamWalker to see what is being written to
the file.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eddie Bush [mailto:ekbush@;swbell.net]
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 12:01 PM
To: Struts Users List
Subject: [OT] Serialization issue - stream has problems flushing?

I've got a friend asking me questions I don't have the answers to.  I
was in hopes one of you may.

My buddy uses serialization (ie. ObjectOutput/InputStream wrapping
FileOutput/InputStream for writing/reading objects to/from disk) as per
a suggestion I made when asked for a non-database approach ("they" [the
powers that be] were very adimate about not wanting to use the DB).  He
doesn't have any libs laying around to facilitate using XML
serialization - and he didn't want to have to get them and get their
installation approved.  Right now, I'm regretting I didn't advise him to

go through that hassle though.  It seems some of the objects he's
serializing ... aren't!  He has one instance where a file containing an
object is like 10 bytes - and it should be more like 300-ish.  His
cohorts suggested that there were known issues with streams not flushing

- but I'm not aware of them.  Is this a fact?  Is there a way to
serialize without using streams?  (I have to think someone is full of
beans wrt the streams not flushing, but he's convinced that is what's
happening and is looking to me for advice on how to rectify the
situation).

So ... any suggestions?  Is there a way to do serialization in the
traditional sense that does not involve the use of streams?  Even the
XML serialization techniques involve streams, do they not?

Thanks!

--
Eddie Bush