On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Josh Berry wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:13:19 -0500
> From: Josh Berry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: Nice labels for inputs.
>
> How many caveats are there if I am going to be using 1.0ish to develop
> with?  I am not sure what the official stance on struts versioning is at
> work.  For the most part, everyone is in a somewhat mad rush to learn
> all they can, so it may be alright.  However, I do have a little
> reservation about using a beta product.

If you don't get really fancy trying to extend internal classes (i.e. you
are like 80% of the applications in the world), all apps developed under
Struts 1.0 should run unchanged (except for a recompile against the new
struts.jar file) in Struts 1.1.  Even for the advanced cases, the changes
are pretty minimal -- such as subclassing RequestProcessor instead of
ActionServlet for customizing the Struts request processing lifecycle.

That being said, the new features that have been added in the 1.1
environment are pretty compelling, especially if we're talking about new
applications.  As has been discussed several times on the mailing lists
:-), the label "beta" in open source development does not have the same
connotations that it does in COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) development.
Many people are happily using 1.1b1 or 1.1b2 for production apps.

> -josh

Craig