From: Eddie Bush [mailto:ekbush@;swbell.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 6:29 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Can a filter handle all the apps in a container?

Thiru Panyala wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a simple (stupid?) question.
>Can I configure a Servlet filter to intercept requests to all the
>applications (a.k.a all the ServletContexts)? All I know is we can
configure
>a filter for each ServletContext (application), but I am wondering if there
>is any way.

You setup filters in web.xml - you could configure the filter for every
app; you'd do it one app at a time.  Would it be the same instance?  Now
there's a good question ... Craig?

>The reason I am asking is because, if there is a way to do so, I can
>configure my filter to provide me the debug output (Such as CGI, session,
>request, and ServletContext variables) on all the applications on
>development servers and I can get rid of debugging on production servers
(by
>not deploying the filter).

I think I'm not understanding.  See commons-logging for controlling
logging output.  commons-logging + (jdk1.4 logging | log4j) =
easily-managed debug output.

--
Eddie Bush