David Graham wrote:

Where in the servlet 2.3 spec does it say that? I could only find this:
"The WEB-INF node is not part of the public
document tree of the application. No file contained in the WEB-INF directory may
be served directly to a client by the container. However, the contents of the WEB-INF
directory are visible to servlet code using the getResource and
getResourceAsStream method calls on the ServletContext."
... and forwarding is not directly-serving - is it?

To be honest, and I haven't personally looked to be truthful, I simply recall Craig (who's opinion I trust on such matters) having stated it was allowed by the specification. I also seem to recall him saying that it wasn't as explicit as it could have been. I believe servlet specification 2.4 is supposed to address this so that doing things this way is more explicitly allowed.

WLS just interpreted that statement differently than others. I would love to see this addressed in the spec though.
Yep. I'll have to dig out the spec and research it myself sometime so I can cite sections. Until I do, I'll just go by the word of those whom I know and trust.

David
--
Eddie Bush