Friday-Eve link inspired by "How to tell when a project you are on is in
trouble"...

You may have all seen this before but Jeff's post this morning made me
think of it...

http://mindprod.com/unmain.html

It still kills me...

mark

Jeff Caddel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 11/21/2002 01:01:01 PM

       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

cc:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject:    Re: [OT] How to tell when a project you are on is in trouble

>I think (hope?) that it's a joke Andrew. Although the subject line makes
me think that it might be real and therefore very, very worrying.

I'm sad to say, it's very real.  He found it debugging a problem that
was coming out in the stacktrace as a NullPointerException.  Since
NullPointerException supports chaining it took 4-5 seconds to find the
line of code causing the NullPointerException and 4-5 hours trying to
unravel what the real cause of the problem was.  Turned out to be an IO
problem (related to permissions I think) where the code was dutifully
catching IOException but just ignoring it and instead re-throwing
NullObjectException.

>>The "architect" of the project a friend of mine is on just unleashed
>>this beauty into the source tree, thought ya'll might get a
>>kick out of it:
>>
>>/**
>>* NullObjectException
>>*
>>* Copyright © 2001,2002 ###### Corp.  All rights reserved.
>>* This exception is used if the object must not be null and it is
>>*
>>* @author #### #########
>>*/
>>public class NullObjectException extends Exception {
>>   // Doesn't have to do anything
>>}
>>
>>Note how neatly this disables nested exception handling!!!
>>Pretty nice eh??
>>
>>----
>>Jeff Caddel

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>