Eric,
I'm facing the same problem. I just started a week ago and found a few
pages on O'Reilly very usefull. As we speak I am one part 3 and building
my first Strtuts application

Check out the following urls
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/onjava/2001/09/11/jsp_servlets.html

It's part one of a 3 part piece and there are 2 more about struts 1.1

Have fun

Johan