Well actually a few more stupid questions cause it doesnt work yet :)

I have created properties file with the following:

org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger
org.apache.commons.logging.Log=org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Jdk14Logger

Placed it in WEB-INF directory and I have a debug statement in my code

log.trace("init( " +  actions + ")");

in my j2re\lib directory if logging.properties
java.util.logging.FileHandler.pattern = C:\\inMotion\\logs\\java%u.log
Is this necessary or is this controlled by:

                     prefix="localhost_image_base_log." suffix=".txt"
                  timestamp="true"/>

in the context declaration in the server.xml?

any suggestions?

Regards Wendy