Struts doesn't provide any custom authentication/authorization mechanism -- make use of that which is provided by your servlet container (lookup container-managed authentication). Once this is done, Struts does provide you ways to build selective content, based upon the roles you've given to a user, through use of the taglibs etc.

... so far as your administrative section goes - you can set it up such that it does not even exist for users that do not have the proper role. (... and I mean that quite literally - the server will return a 404 for unauthorized access!)

Steve Vanspall wrote:

Hi there,

I was wondering if struts had some mechanism to restrict acces according to
user level.

Basically our users may be of variying levels in our system. From customer
to administrator.

This is defined by a columns in a table in our database.

Each user should have differing levels of access to the web app.

For example a customer can change his/her setails, but not search/view any
other customer.

Naturally a customer also wont have access to the administration section of
the web-app.

I can code up a retriction system. But was wondering if struts already had
one that I could cutomise for my own needs.

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Steve Vanspall

--