Sri Sankaran wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Raible [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 1:34 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Best Practices for Logging?

I'm wondering what is considered the best practice for logging using commons-logging in a Struts app. My current approach is to have a Base class in every package that has the following:

protected Log log =
LogFactory.getLog("my.package.name");

But I've noticed that some of the Struts examples have an instance of this in every class.
Personally I prefer the class level.  This provides you with a finer grain of control.  However, I restrict it to only one per class and not one per object

public class Foo {
 private static Log log = LogFactory.getLog(Foo.class);
 ..
}

General consensus seems to be that this is the "best practice" approach. You wind up with more loggers, but they give you very fine-grained control as Sri mentioned. You can still set a log-level for a package, but you then also have the ability to manipulate the log-level on a per class basis too - so you can relaly "zoom-in" on things.

Is this recommended, so that logging can be done on a class level, as well as a package level? Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated.

It should be a static member as per what Sri shows (so you only have one per class). Yes - it's so you can control logging on a package/class basis.

Thanks,

Matt

Sri

--