I don't think storing this on the client is a good
approach to doing it... if you choose to do this, then
you're breaking one of the Web's main advantages,
which is client independency (you will most likely
lock the user to a single browser that supports a
specific plugin, 95% chance that it will be IE).
You should really consider using the server to handle
the templates. Do you have many clients accessing this
application? Are the templates too big, and do you
have many of these files for each user? You could even
consider using a database to store templates, and read
them when the user needs their data. Then you could
save them in the user's session for optimal
performance. There are many ways of doing it, but it
all depends on how you are going to use the files.

=====