From: Matt Raible [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2002 6:07 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Forcing SSL for index page of application

I'm trying to replicate the behavior that occurs when you set
<transport-guarantee>CONFIDENTIAL</transport-guarantee> to confidential
in web.xml.  If I do this, when I hit the index.jsp page of my webapp, I
am automatically redirected to https://localhost/myappname.  However, I
have a different SSL port setup for testing, and I'd like to only switch
on one page, the index.jsp page.  So I've added the following scriplet
to my index.jsp and it works great in Mozilla, but fails in IE.  IE
prompts me with the certificate information, and then gives a "Cannot
Find Server" error.  Any ideas?

<%
// TODO: Make this into a tag library
Boolean secureLogin =
(Boolean)application.getAttribute(Constants.SECURE_LOGIN);
System.out.println("secureLogin: " + secureLogin);
if (secureLogin.booleanValue()) {
    // make sure we're using https
    if (request.getScheme().equals("http")) {
        String redirectString = SslUtil.getRedirectString(request,
                                                          application,
                                                          true);

        System.out.println("redirecting to: " +
response.encodeRedirectURL(redirectString));
        %>
        <logic:redirect
href="<%=response.encodeRedirectURL(redirectString)%>"/>

        <%
    }
}
%>

Everything looks the same in Tomcat's log when using either browser.

Thanks,

Matt