Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, David Graham wrote:

Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:23:40 -0700
From: David Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Struts application & infrastructure choices

It should be fairly easy to implement this and do some performance testing.
Your DAOs will be the only piece that changes to use RMI.  You might try
just using straight sockets because RMI is another layer on top of sockets
which may slow you down.

A completely different approach to consider would be running something
like Apache in the DMZ, and put Tomcat behind the firewall as well.  Then,
you could continue to use your existing DAOs without exposing them on the
DMZ machine.

That's what I meant by my option 1. After skimming http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/jk.html, I now see that Apache->Tomcat does in fact work remotely. Right? Are there problems pushing JK through firewalls?

If this works, it is probably the easiest way to go, requiring the least application change, most likely the best performance and also the best security, since there's not much "exposed" on the Apache server.

David

Craig