Thanks -- I ended up creating a mask for the number of characters I need
then used a custom msg attribute to override the default make error.  But I
could do the same with what you propose as well.

                      "David Graham"

                      <dgraham1980@hotm        To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                      ail.com>                 cc:

                                               Subject:  Re: restricting to a specific
field length
                      12/17/2002 05:56

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      "Struts Users

                      Mailing List"

You could give the field a maxlength attribute and then use the minlength
validator to make sure it's the given number of characters.

David