    Steven> I am a little unclear what you mean by using modules?

If you don't know what they are, then you probably aren't using them :) .

It's a mechanism that allows you to subdivide your Struts application into
pieces, each with their own config file.

If you're not using modules, then I don't know what the problem could be.
Perhaps you could use your debugger to trace the loading of your
struts-config.xml file, especially when it stores the data-soure configuration?