Hmmm ... I was able to get it working on my set-up -- that is, it created the backup
files when the file reached 2K ...

----------------
Struts 1.1b2
WLS 6.1 sp4
Log4J 1.2.6
NT 4
----------------

One wierd thing I noticed was that it seemed like WLS only picked up my new
log4j.properties when I hot deployed my webapp -- but not when I restarted WLS -- WLS
has always been flakely when it comes to deployment.

I suggest you look at trying Log4j 1.2.6 or see if using the DailyRollingFileAppender
might work.

BTW, my appender looks like:

log4j.appender.RollingFile=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.RollingFile.File=mirage-log-test.txt
log4j.appender.RollingFile.MaxFileSize=2KB
log4j.appender.RollingFile.MaxBackupIndex=5
log4j.appender.RollingFile.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.RollingFile.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c - %m%n