Check the archives. This is another one of those questions that gets asked (and
answered) frequently.

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SearchList?[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Or try the JGuru Struts FAQ:

http://www.jguru.com/faq/printablefaq.jsp?topic=Struts

The short answer is: You're trying to set this in the wrong place. IMO, you should be
setting the default value of your form items in your ActionForm, not the JSP tag.

Ex:

public class YourForm extends ActionForm {
        private String someCheckBox = "true";   // This sets the default value

        // getters and setters for same; will get called after form submission

        public void reset() {
                someCheckBox = "false";                 // Need this here to handle
submission of unchecked boxes
        }
}

In your JSP: