ok, though this problem came up dealing with ActionForms, I completely
understand that this is a fundamental Java question, nothing more, so I will
pose it as that only.  Also, I am prepared for taking some
thisQuestion(OrYou)DoesntDeserveToBeHere flak:

        String s1 = "" + null;
        System.out.println ("s1: " + s1);
        if (s1 == null)
            System.out.println ("s1 is null");
        else
            System.out.println ("s1 is not null");

produces output:
        s1: null
        s1 is not null

While if I replace the first line by, String s1 = "";
then it produces output:
        s1:
        s1 is not null

(which I have no problem with).

Question: Why does the 1st line of the output of the first case read s1:
null  ?

Amrinder