I did try the following, but it throws a NPE when I try to get the mapping:

                ModuleConfig mConfig = mapping.getModuleConfig();
                ActionMapping aMapping = (ActionMapping)
mConfig.findActionConfig("/saveCMCF");
                errors = theForm.validate(aMapping, request);
                if (!errors.isEmpty()) {
                        saveErrors(request, errors);
                }

Any assistance is appreciated,