From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of V. Cekvenich
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 8:39 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: AW: easy struts

Thanks for writing it up.

I would say an alternative is to set up your project in webapps\myProject, and run the Container outside of IDE (as you would in production).

That's correct.  I never run my apps with any IDE's "plugged-in"
container.  If needed, I'll remotely attach to the VM and debug from
there.

This makes it easy to configure Container ( Tomcat or Resin, or Orion, etc.) to save the session while you change the class "live"

A good practice to be able to change the class and not have to restart

Container, and not have to reacquire the session; while in dev. mode.
Ex: If you change your Action Java code, and you are logged in to you webapp, you do not want to navigate back to the same point (save session) or restart container.

Agreed. You have many options available with a good Ant build script. Anything you have to do 'by hand' can be (and usually already is)
provided with ant tasks.

In recent projects, I've used Ant to do tasks (ftp, database calls, etc)
that are totally unrelated to software development. The possibilities
are endless!!!

Also, sometimes one uses more than one IDE at a time, ex: Eclipse and when it gets rought, Vi.

.V

Since I'm currently on Windoze, I use Textpad when not using Eclipse.

--
James Mitchell
Software Engineer/Struts Evangelist

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who
cannot read them."
	- Mark Twain (1835-1910)