So, do you have to pay for your own uniforms, or does the company supply
them?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chappell, Simon P [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 21 January 2003 22:31
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: [OT] Standardised Environments (was RE: [OT] Eclipse IDE)

Our management (I won't say leadership, for reasons that will be obvious to
experienced IS developers) also have the belief that standardisation is
good. We are having our J2EE workstations defined to the n'th degree and
they will all be locked down so that you can't change anything. You can't
even change your windows wallpaper!!! Our IDE is defined, you'd better like
it because you can't install anything else. All in the sacred name of
productivity.

Anyone else out there going through this or have advice to share?

I am planning to bring my personal laptop to work to do any of my tinkering
on. I like to think that my tinkering is helpful to the company, but you
wouldn't think so from these new policies. This past year, I have introduced
to the company's IS environment four new tools that I evaluated by tinkering
with in those downtimes between projects. Specifically, these tools are
Struts (hey, you know I like Struts! :-), ant, junit and Cygwin. The funny
thing, to me, is that these tools evaluated by tinkering are going to be
part of the new locked down standard! Gotta laugh.

Simon