You need to put 1 or more <definition /> elements inside of the <tiles-definition />
element.  Or you can remove the <tiles-definition /> element if you're not using it.
These elements are more than likely inside of the tiles-defs.xml file.  Also it looks
like you are missing the validation.xml file, which is supposed to define your
validators.  Open up the blank war and verify that the validation.xml file is in that
archive and that tiles-defs.xml contains at least 1 <definition />.

What I suggest is starting over with the struts 1.1 Beta 3 upgrade, because you are
missing files that you should not be missing.

Optionally, if all you really want to do is turn off tiles and validators, then just
uncommment the plugins at the bottom of struts-config.xml and remove the tiles tag-lib
reference in web.xml.

I think that should work for you.

Werd,

Dave