From: brian.a.lee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 3:15 PM
To: andrew.david.hill; struts-user
Cc: brian.a.lee
Subject: RE: how to call more than one Struts Action for a given HTTP
request

I have a question about action chaining in theory.

I'm not sure what you mean by action chaining, but I tend to want to make my
actions as generic as possible so that they can be called multiple times.

For example, I worked on an app that did a lot of session work. So I would
make a LoaderAction and a DoerAction. The loader would load an object into
session and the doer would display or edit or delete or whatever.

I would end up with a struts-config.xml that looked something like:
<action type="LoaderAction">
<forward name="next" path="DoerAction"/>
</action>

And there would be one entry in struts-config.xml for each different kind of
load and forward. So there might be LoaderActionForDelete,
LoaderActionForEdit, etc etc.

This has made things easier for me and others on my team as we don't need to
modify any code or to create a new action class to load up an object, etc
etc.

Are you saying this is bad?

BAL