So, if I understand your question correctly, when a user accesses your application,
you want a set of tasks to be performed.  One way to do this would be to have your
application url be a call to some action: http://www.foo.com/myapp/start.do.  Here the
action mapped to 'start.do' will do your housekeeping tasks.

Sri