I think some app servers (WebLogic, others?) allow you to use Windows
network security (domain controller might be the right term?) for web app
security. The users will need to login to your app specfically, but you
might then be able to get some profile info by calling
request.getUserPrincipal() after that.

Basically, you setup the app to use standard container-managed security and
then configure a Realm on the app server that contacts the Windows doamin
controller for security information. When a user authenticates, the realm
creates a Principal object for the user, and the app server makes that
object available to the web app via request.getUserPrincipal(). The spec
just says it has to be a Principal, but it can be a subclass that contains
whatever information the realm implementor/configurator wants it to. I don't
know if you can just configure a few things to easily set this up, but this
is one way in which the functionality you desire could be acheived within
the architectural bounds defined by the servlet spec. The software to do
this may or may not exist in as complete a form as described here. You can
always write your own Realm to do whatever you want if you find that it
hasn't been done to your satisfaction already.

It seems like there would be security problems if this was acheived without
the app server (or at least your app) being connected to the Windows network
security system. I certainly hope my browser is not sending user profile
information to any web site/app that asks for it!

-Max