James wrote:
> Dumb question: Are you sure you're running validations at all?

Yes.  I have some simple validations like:
   <field  property="newEmailAddress"
            depends="email" >
            <arg0 key="label.additional.email"/>
   </field>
and
   <field    property="date"
                   depends="required,date">
                     <arg0 key="label.contact.date"/>
                     <var>
                       <var-name>datePatternStrict</var-name>
                       <var-value>MM/dd/yyyy</var-value>
                     </var>
   </field>
on the same form that are working fine.

>> What about the action != Add Prospect part, have I done that
>> right?  I'm trying to compare the value of the action
>> parameter (it's a hidden field on the form) to the literal
>> String "Add Prospect".  (While we're at it, any chance of
>> comparing the value to a property in the
>> ApplicationResources.properties file?)

> That's how it's supposed to work...

Which?  Literal value, or should I be specifying a key to something in
.properties?  The example was checking something equal to "true" so I wasn't
sure.

In any event... I actually need !action.startsWith("Add"); which I don't
think is going to be possible with the Validator as-is.  It looks like you
can write your own, but I'm not familiar enough yet with how everything
works.  I ended up overriding validate()in my form, calling
super.validate(), and adding this:

if (prospect == null && "".equals(address) && !action.startsWith("Add") ) {
   if (errors == null) {
      errors = new ActionErrors();
   }
   errors.add("address", new ActionError("error.prospect.address.required")
);
}

But I still don't see a reason why what I had in the xml file would not
work.

--
Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.