Hello David,

    I think that the main problem in struts-validator is because is highly
coupled with ActionForm. Ok, I can use commons-validator. But, my idea is:

    * Put the validation rules in only one place (a XML file that can be
read and interpretated by struts and my business rule);
    * The validation rule also has the type of a column (indicating if is
boolean, data, String, BigDecimal, ... );
    * The struts tags will generate JavaScript to validate the input of
data;
    * My business rule will check if all data is ok again (because the user
can turn off JavaScript).

    My business rule generaly receives a Value Object to insert or update
data. My VO is dynamic - I say which columns and rows they will have. If I
know the type of data that came from ActionForm (I always use String in
ActionForms) I can convert on fly the data between ActionForm and VO.

    Theres is a sample example:

    ----- Action ------
     MyValueObject vo = new MyValueObject( form );        // Works because I
will know the types of columns in ActionForm - it's defined in XML
     MyBusinessObject bo = new MyBusinessObject();

    bo.insert( vo );

    ----- MyBusinessObject -----
    public void insert( MyValueObject vo )
    {
        if not checkIfAlwaysIsOk( vo ) { throw new Exception( "..." ); }

        insertIntoDatabase( );

        // If a need to get some data from VO, I use - vo.get( lineNumber,
columnNumber )
    }

    public boolean checkIfAlwaysIsOk( vo )
    {
        return Validator.checkIfRulesIsOk( vo, "file with xml
definitions" );
        // Validator is a generic class that will be used by
struts-validator and my business rule
    }

Thanks,

Regis Melo