Is there any reason why I could not send a response to another server without a request by having an automated background servlet do something akin to the following when something happened? Could this be part of the business logic of a action in Struts, so that more than one response could be sent to a request?

String str = "key=value";
URL url = new URL("http://www.otherserver.com/dowacka.do";);
URLConnection conn = url.openConnection();
conn.setDoOutput(true);
conn.setRequestProperty("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
PrintWriter pw = new PrintWriter(conn.getOutputStream());
pw.println(str);
pw.close();

I take it, also, if I am not mistaken, that I could do this securely with https? And, lastly, I assume that I could then get a confirmation of receipt, or whatever, with something like:

BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(
new InputStreamReader(conn.getInputStream()));
String results = in.readLine();
in.close();

That right? Please correct anything, make any suggestions, etc.

Micae

LEGAL NOTICE

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents contain information belonging to the sender which may be confidential and legally privileged. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom this electronic mail transmission was sent as indicated above. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance on the contents of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete the message. Thank you