I'm guessing you could create your own List implementation that delegates to a
LazyList:

package ...;
import java.util.*;
import org.apache.commons.collections.*;

public class MyLazyList extends AbstractList implements Factory {

  private final List lazy;

  public MyLazyList() {
    this.lazy = ListUtils.lazyList(new ArrayList(), this);
  }

  public Object create() {
    // whatever you need
  }