Very good question on a very difficult topic.  This is one of the hardest
things in a transactional application.  The a-d choices you listed are all
possibilities and the one you select depends on your situation/requirements.
What does the customer want to happen in this case?  This topic is discussed
in Martin Fowler's new book Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture.