Greets all,

We have developed a struts application which makes use of the struts
data-source.  This is working fine, but when it is left overnight, the
connections are dying.  When I re-start the Tomcat, connections are
re-opened and everything is fine, until the next period of idleness.

Note, I assume that the connections being idle is causing the connections
to timeout, but it may be due to a network problem or something,
nevertheless it is a connection pools basic task to know that something is
wrong with the connection, and make sure its open and healthy before giving
it to you.  I assume that the problem is either in the struts data-source,
or my use of it, as a restart of the app server (therefore the connection
pool) fixes the problem.

The exception I get when it starts to happen is  java.sql.SQLException: No
more data to read from socket

The data source :

      <data-sources>
            <data-source key="xxx" type=
"org.apache.struts.util.GenericDataSource">
                  <set-property property="url" value="jdbc:oracle:thin:
@xxx.xxx.xxx:1521:dev"/>
                  <set-property property="user" value="xxuser"/>
                  <set-property property="password" value="xxpass"/>
                  <set-property property="maxCount" value="10" />
                  <set-property property="minCount" value="2" />
                  <set-property property="driverClass" value=
"oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"/>
            </data-source>

      </data-sources>

App server is Tomcat 4.1.12, DB is Oracle 9i.

Any comments / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

][v][