Well, to be fair, you left

<%@taglib uri="/WEB-INF/tag.tld" prefix="tag"%>

out of your example (a one-time thing, like my jsp:useBean).

My rows could look like

if I chose to script instead of using <bean:write>. That's pretty
simple. And I didn't have to spend a day developing a custom library TLD
and incorporating it into my build process to satisfy a trivial need.