From: news [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Davor Cengija
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 2:53 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Newbie Question on Performance

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Peder Jakobsen wrote:
>
>> Has anyone had to abandon struts because it was not performant?  Does
>> anyone out there serve A LOT of requests?  (We run 12 load balanced
>> quad Xeons and we can barely keep up!  We have about 1 million users
>> on our
>> site)
>>

> You're primarily going to want to focus on the performance
> characteristics of the servlet+JSP container you are running on, and
> most particularly the quality of the code produced by the JSP page
> compiler.  With servlet containers, you also need to evaluate whether
> to run them standalone or behind a web server).  Secondarily, on
> database-driven apps, you'll want to focus on the quality of your
> database driver, and (obviously) on how well you've tuned your
> database for maximum performance.  Thirdly, you'll certainly want to
> run a 1.4 or later JDK -- performance improvements in each incremental
> release of Java have been helpful.

Keeping network traffic low, especially between the appservers and the
databases, might improve performance as well. Keep the most accessable
tables near the appservers (or even on the same machine). Also, cache and
preload the data with high access rate.

All these advices are applicable on any java application. There's even a
book, Java Performance Tuning.

Regarding Struts, we had no performance issues connected directly to it.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]