Hi all,

So I've upgraded our rather large app. to Struts 1.1 b3, and I'm all grins except for
one thing:  The format options on the new WriteTag require that your MessageResources
implementation return null for it to apply default formatting rules to your
properties.  Otherwise, when it attempts to look up the default format string key for
the data type of the property being written, e.g.
"org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.format.int", it will get some dummy value back (in our
case, "SYMBOL VALUE NOT FOUND:  <keyName>"), and then of course an exception occurs
when it tries to use this in a applyPattern() call to a Format object.

We would really rather not return null from a call to getMessage(), as it is very
useful in our app. (esp. for QA) to be able to see what message key is missing
visually, rather than having to look at a log.  So, I'm wondering if anyone else has
had this problem and what their solution was.

I'm going to solve this one in our MessageResources implementation by referring to the
WriteTag's constant values for these format strings, and if the key being looked up
equals any of those, return null, otherwise return our dummy "SYMBOL NOT FOUND" value
(when returnNull==false).  But I don't like it very much.  This should really be a
configuration option in struts-config or something.

Does anyone know if there are plans to change this behavior?

peace,
Joe