I have an application that is currently using the Socket object to post XML
documents to client systems.  Currently, we are using dedicated lines for
transactions but we might be bringing some new customers on board who will
require HTTPS transactions, which would be a problem to implement using
Socket.  So I was thinking about switching to use the HttpClient from the
Jakarta-Commons project.  However, it has been in Alpha stage for the past 3
years and I was wondering if anyone here has used it and been satisfied with
the performance.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks