Anyone know how to handle container independent HttpSession persistence?

I want to share a HttpSession for a user across multiple WebApplications and
also across multiple servers.

There is one point of access into the system (one logon screen), so I can
leave the jsessionid in the URL avoiding problems with cookies and multiple
servers.

However, I'm not sure the best way to save the HttpSession into a database
(in an independent way) so that all applications can access it. Also, would
session timeout be a problem?

Anyone do this before? I would appreciate any help!
Thanks, Dave