Ian Hunter wrote:
Ah-HAH!  I was adding back in some other methods and broke it again, but I
think I get it.

My "setter" method is called "public void setIds (String ids[])" -- when I
created a method called "public void setIds(int i, String ids)" that killed
it because BeanUtils.populate was calling the wrong setter method.

What is the "correct" convention for creating getter/setting methods for
accessing individual entries within an Array when you ALSO have
getter/setters that handle the array as a whole?  I thought I had it
right -- I thought you overloaded the array methods and stuck an index in.

If I have in a Form
class AForm extends ActionForm {

ArrayList values;

  public int getValue(int index) {
     return value.get(index);
  }
  public int setValue(int index,String value) {
     return value.set(index,value);
  }
  //-- This also could have been getValueList(), just be consistent.
  ArrayList getValues() {
   return values;
  }
  void setValues(ArrayList values) {
   this.values = values;
  }
}

I had an ActionForm just 2 days ago that had
ArrayList getValue();int getValue(int index), void setValue(int index, String value)

It had worked for over a year, but really wasn't a
valid bean, because of the ArrayList items.
However with the latest version of beanutils,
the int setValue(int index,String value) method couldn't be found.

I guess that beanutils tightened up on their introspection,
and once ArrayList getValue() was renamed, everything worked again.

-Rob