If I undertand you correctly, that's what PropertyMessageResources does.

For example, say you've got a server in France serving international
users
A request comes in and you code looks calls a resource "my.message"

It will look under the current users locale (say UK), it would
recursively look in:
1. ApplicationResources.properties_en_UK
2. ApplicationResources.properties_en
3. ApplicationResources.properties     (Struts 'default')
And then finally the server's 'default' locale
4. ApplicationResources.properties_fr

I would say your best bet is to make #3 your base file and add locale
specific messages as you need them.

--
James Mitchell
Web Developer/Struts Evangelist