So, I'm running 1.1rc of struts, tomcat 4.1.18, and I just downloaded
log4j 1.2.8.

I have a struts webapp in development, and I currently have all of the
struts-required commons-*.jar files in WEB-INF/lib, and I dropped
log4j-1.2.8.jar there also.

After deployment, at random times, tomcat now hangs on me and won't let
me connect.  The only error of note is in catalina.out and is:

org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JCategoryLog does not implement Log
  at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:555)
  at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:289)
  at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:409)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.CommonLogHandler.log(CommonLogHandler.java:97)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.Log.log(Log.java:198)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.Log.log(Log.java:192)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.log.Log.log(Log.java:174)
  at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:533)
  at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)

So, from digging around, I now have a copy of commons-logging at:

${TOMCAT_HOME}/server/lib

_and_

at
webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/lib

and, I suspect that the commons-logging stuff that tomcat is using
is seeing log4j that i wanted my struts webapp to use, and problems
are being caused.

What do I need to do to fix this?  I want to keep my struts webapp self
contained and not rely on jar files in tomcat if I can help it.  Can I
do that?

--

Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical and Computational Biophysics
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]          3051 Beckman Institute