I had a similar problem but with a method "getItems()".  My application
is using a tag <bean:define name="group" property="items" id="items />.
This actually works fine on Tomcat 4.1 with Struts 1.1b3.  But when I
deploy this app to WebSphere 4.0 I get the error below.  If I change the
method to "getItemsCollection()" on my "group" object it works fine.  I
looked at RequestUtils.lookup but it was not obvious what was causing
the problems.  Any ideas?

[2/25/03 14:37:43:490 PST] 65dd7221 WebGroup      X Servlet Error: No
getter method for property items of bean group:
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: No getter method for property items of
bean group
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.lookup(RequestUtils.java:863)
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.bean.DefineTag.doEndTag(DefineTag.java:266)
        at
groups._ActionItemList_jsp_2._jspService(_ActionItemList_jsp_2.java:1507
)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:142)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet$JspServletWrapper.service(JspServle
t.java:323)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:503)
        at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:636)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictServletInstance.doService(ServletMan
ager.java:827)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet._service(StrictLife
cycleServlet.java:167)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.IdleServletState.service(StrictLifecycleSe
rvlet.java:297)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.StrictLifecycleServlet.service(StrictLifec
ycleServlet.java:110)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstance.service(ServletManager.jav
a:472)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ValidServletReferenceState.dispatch(Servle
tManager.java:1012)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.ServletInstanceReference.dispatch(ServletM
anager.java:913)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.handleWebAppDispat
ch(WebAppRequestDispatcher.java:721)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.dispatch(WebAppReq
uestDispatcher.java:374)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.webapp.WebAppRequestDispatcher.forward(WebAppRequ
estDispatcher.java:118)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.doForward(RequestProcessor.jav
a:1033)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processForwardConfig(RequestPr
ocessor.java:436)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionForward(RequestPr
ocessor.java:401)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:
279)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1422)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:505)
[...]
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.doForward(WebAppInvoker.java:13
4)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srt.WebAppInvoker.handleInvocationHook(WebAppInvo
ker.java:239)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CachedInvocation.handleInvocation(Cach
edInvocation.java:67)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.invocation.CacheableInvocationContext.invoke(Cach
eableInvocationContext.java:106)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.srp.ServletRequestProcessor.dispatchByURI(Servlet
RequestProcessor.java:154)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.oselistener.OSEListenerDispatcher.service(OSEList
ener.java:315)
        at
com.ibm.servlet.engine.http11.HttpConnection.handleRequest(HttpConnectio
n.java:60)
        at
com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:
332)
        at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:261)
        at com.ibm.ws.util.CachedThread.run(ThreadPool.java:138)