A Tiles controller is associated to the tile being inserted. The controllers are called when a tiles is inserted. They are declared in the insert tag, or in the definition tag which is used by insert.
The put tag is used to specify an attribute which is passed to the insert. So, the controller can't be associated to the put tag.

What could be done in an future enhancement is something like this:
<put name="body">
<definition extends="a.def" controllerUrl="aController" />
</put>
This will specify that the attribute "body" is a definition extending another one, and overloading the controller. The same mechanism will allow to overload definition parameters inline.
This is an enhancement request that need a new ticket in bugzilla ;-).

Cedric

jennings, christofer "BOZ" j wrote:

I'm curious why Tiles controllers can't be assigned in the <put> tag.

As far as I can tell, a controller can only be assigned at the level of
<definition> or <input>, which means that the controller must know enough to
format data for mutiple <put> sections of a "page" or "tile". What I want,
though, is to have each <put> section (may we say "node of a  tile"?)
display independent data. I do not want a bunch of <definition>s that each
wrap one <put>, but it seems this is the only answer.

Am I wrong? If not, why can't a controller be assigned in the <put> tag?

TIA

,boz