Please excuse the simple question (I am new to Struts):

When is it appropriate to use form beans for an action?

The reason why I ask is because you can obtain information from a request
via the information sent by the HTTP/Post/Get.  If I have a bunch of widgets
in a form I can just obtain the info in the action this way:

request.getParameter("widgetName")

I have a fairly good understanding of how form beans work, but I'm just
wondering in what type(s) of situation(s) these would be applied.

Thanks for your help.

John Curley