I know I've come late to this thread - but my first was a couple of logarithmic
potentiometers and a
meter - analogue computing at it simplest - but it worked and provided the battery was
not going
flat remarkably accurate - at least as good as the slide rules we all had at that
time. - eh! what
where did I put my hearing aid...

db